You're certainly welcome to contact me.

E-mail - firelionwarriors@yahoo.com
Twitter - @firelionwarrior

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cookie's Celebration of Life

Bunches of Love, Cookie!

Below are three pieces that I wrote.  After the pieces are photos of Cookie's family and friends in attendance at her memorial today, Thursday May 22, 2014.  

Here's the obituary that I wrote (Toni elected to use a shorter obit for the printed memorial program.): 

Arnetta “Cookie” Barnes was born on October 3, 1957 in Washington, D.C. to the late Pauline and Marshall Barnes.  She attended public schools in D.C. and later began work with the federal government at FDIC. Wherever Cookie worked, her skills were much admired and appreciated.  There was nothing average about her.  Consistently, her presence made a positive difference and impact in the lives of family, friends and co-workers.

Cookie loved children and they loved her.  When she had her only child, Toni, childrearing became Cookie’s main love and passion.  She adored her daughter and let it be known that Toni was her priority.  Things weren’t always ideal but Cookie loved and provided for her daughter, regardless.    

Cookie eventually left D.C., moved to Norfolk, VA, and recently she resided in Efland, North Carolina.  Why did she leave D.C.?  Toni had moved to Norfolk and needed the presence of her mother.  Cookie uprooted and went to help Toni who herself had become a mother to Cookie’s granddaughter, Alexis.  That’s the kind of loving, sacrificial mother Cookie was known to be and her generous heart never stopping giving. 

Cookie treasured the close relationships that she had with her family members.  Yes, hers is a family of deep and precious love.  Loyalty, care and giving are consistently on display.

Childhood friends Larry, Michael, Nathan and Sandy maintained love connections to Cookie that were sealed with tight and solid bonds.  Their friendship journey kept staying power that lived on for many years. 

This wouldn’t be complete without mention of Cookie’s dear friend, Michael. They go way back with major love in flow.  They grew together and joined in actions of strength, hope and courage.
Yes, they did the friendship groove in style.    

It was in Norfolk that Cookie met Rex, a man who loved and provided for her in ways that she deeply cherished and appreciated.  Yes, Rex proved his love for Cookie in ways that were rooted deep in her heart.  Cookie’s love for him was penetrating in its realness.  Yes, they loved and lasted.

Cookie enjoyed music, cooking and watching movies.  And Oh, she loved to talk; the pleasure was that she often spoke with substance and humor.  She could crack you up with her sharp, witty tongue and when she set us straight, we’d not soon forget.  Oh yeah, she had a way with words indeed.

The absence of Cookie has left a void in our hearts.  Yes, she was that special and her impact that strong.  She was a woman of solid worth and we’re grateful to have experienced the richness and joy of her presence.   

The legacy of Cookie continues with her daughter Toni Barnes-McKinney; granddaughters Alexis and Madison; sisters Deborah Barnes-Miller and Schinetta Barnes-Rich; her husband, Rex McCulley and a host of close family and friends.


Tribute to Cookie (I read this at Cookie's memorial.)

The sparkle of Cookie will forever be etched in the depths of my heart.  She was more than a trooper.  She was a soldier who fought the good fight of faith.

She was loving, brave, funny, sharp, witty, giving, and cool.  She was NOT to be played with, though -- anyone who stepped to Cookie wrong -- could get "sliced and diced" with communication missiles.

She was loyal and she had our backs.  Oh yes, she did . . . 

When Cookie showed up, there was a shift in the atmosphere.  When she came, you knew she was there, and when she left, you knew she was gone.

I love her from the core of my wounded heart.  She was one of the VERY best friends that I ever had and I love her immensely.

To know Cookie is to love her.  There's so much about her that shines. So much about her that glows.  There are memories of her that I shall forever cherish.

Yes, she was/is my forever friend and I love her in ways that words aren't adequate to express. 

We'll meet again, Cook -- Oh yes we will!  -- Bunches of love to you, bunches of love.

Sandy

Healing (I read this at Cookie's memorial.)

I wrote this piece on April 12, 2014, about me and whoever else could relate based on whatever was going on in their lives . . .  When I wrote it I didn’t know that it would later have meaning relative to Cookie.

I mailed this piece to Cookie on April 14, 2014.  She received it and let me know that she liked it.  Cookie passed less than a month after I mailed this to her. After she passed, I read this piece again and got the sense that there was a message here for her -- that neither she nor I understood -- at the time . . .  GOD used this to help prepare us for Cookie’s graduation to Him.

As you read, I believe you’ll understand.
Healed

I've lived with a condition for years. When it first developed, it profoundly grieved me . . . but over the years, I've learned that the best healings can be healings of the spirit in acceptance that Almighty GOD knows best. He has reasons for why He allows continuances.

I've settled in my spirit that the joy of the Lord is my strength. I NOW live that truth -- not just in my head but in the core of my heart. I'm FULLY persuaded that I'm set in the Master's hands -- regardless.

We know that song, "In the Garden." "He walks with me. He talks with me. He tells me that I am His own." I've come to learn and to understand that, "Whatever it is, it's not bigger than GOD!"

I'd rather have the company of the Lord than healing of my condition. Yes, I choose Jesus -- the Word of Life. His love and blessed assurances sustain and provide me with peace -- multiplied.

Nothing and nobody provides such love, solace, peace and joy.

Nope, ain't NOTHING better than to walk with the Light of the Word -- King Jesus -- no matter what . . . !

GOD reigns anyhow. In His presence there is fullness of joy -- at His right hand there are pleasures for ever more -- so says the scripture in Psalm 16. And I'm a living witness, as are others who journey with our precious Lord!

Philippians 4:11 - KJV
. . . I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.


###

It is well with my soul.

Below are photos that I took at the Celebration of Life memorial service for Cookie.